Tuesday, February 1, 2011

What... are we nuts?

Quick. Who won the Super Bowl last year?

Was it New England? New Orleans? Indianapolis? I really can't remember who the World Champion is. So how is it that so many people are willing to travel great distances and spend enormous sums of money just to see the next one crowned? Thousands of hours of manpower and millions of dollars are spent on the broadcast and events leading up to and following... a football game? Millions more will be wagered and hundreds of millions will watch it on television as the world stops to accommodate a day now immortalized as Super Bowl Sunday. My question is, How long do we remember the winner? Til training camp next summer? Are we nuts or something? I say we because I will have buffalo wings and chili dogs laid out for my own guests when they arrive for the 6:30 pm eastern kickoff. I'm not proud of that but everything else in my neighborhood will be closed. What else can I do? Some of my guests will have painted faces. Some will yell at my television. Some will be hysterical with joy as their favorite quarterback holds up a trophy that commemorates the winner. The outpouring of emotional energy over this fleeting thing called the world championship never ceases to amaze me.

Meanwhile at my church we sit in self-conscious silence in the presence of the undefeated, undefeatable, everlasting, eternal Champion of the Universe! Occasionally someone might have the courage to lift their hand in a private expression of joy... maybe.

What... are we nuts?

2 comments:

  1. For me, a 'big' sports event such as the World Series, Stanley Cup (LORD Stanley) or the Super Bowl, tends to be an escape from the harsh realities of everyday life. I do know this for sure; when the 'undefeated, everlasting champion of the universe arrives, in person, I'll act like those crazies will on Sunday! And, yes, we are nuts (or more accurately stated, unbalanced)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Jim, but I am usually in the minority on this subject. I think it's pretty disgusting how much time and energy is spent watching and talking about these things. Something that was intended for recreation has become way too important. It is an idol for a lot of people and pastors don't say that because most Americans are sports addicts and they might anger a lot of people. I cringe thinking about it because the same people who don't have a problem making an idiot out of themselves over a trivial sporting event will stand frozen at church when worship time comes. I think that it has to do in part with a person's view of the Lord, and whether they actually believe all those things about him.

    ReplyDelete